Sydney Harbour 20th May, 2007

gretsch

Gidday Viewers,

Well, what a day.

We hit the Spit for squid at 5.00am and caught 6 Arrows, a little cuttle and an Occy. Was pretty calm so we went out to North Head and picked up 9 big Calamari. Twas a great start.. we had caught one of every Cephalopod available in the Harbour (to my knowledge).

After a a call from my brother saying that Dano1 had aced it in Middle Harbour on Saturday we decided that we would give it a shot.. after all, we were armed with the best bait possible and the calm of Middle Harbour is a joy to fish.

We were anchored up at spot x and all of a sudden, an unweighted strip of squid gets hammered. Straight into a snag and shes gone. Bugger.

Here is where the day turned to poo.

I had my Stella 6000 and Millerod Bay Buster ($1,500 woth of outfit) dangling a squid head. I was at the helm leaning against the wheel and watching it. All of sudden, wooshka.... it did a tripple somersalt and a half twist and was gone. It left a hole in the water as it entered and a few bubbles then, dead calm.

I was in shock. I couldn't believe it.

I am wearing the black arm band today.

This is all I have left of what was, a superb kingy outfit.... (to be honest, the rod was a little bit long for me).

We didn't land a King all day.

If you are looking for me, I will be in the "Swap & Sell" forum.

Cheers

Ceph.A.Lopod.

damn that's harsh... :05: mate...trust me though, ur outfit is one of many on the beds of middle and sydney harbour thatve gone the very same way...bad luck, n hopefully it wont take ya too long to replace the gear.

Edited by Aloosh

What a :1crybaby: shame Ceph. Looks like the Davy Jones tackle shop has scored another nice outfit.

You must have been in total shock watching that happen....I know I would be devastated.

Hope you can find an equal replacement in the ol' Swap & Sell.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Pete.

Hey Ceph,

Mate what a bummer. Its happened to me B4.

I lost one over the side and about two hours later jagged it and brought it up.

Was pretty glad as it wasnt mine. Pulled it apart and cleaned it and it bounced back.

I think it probably shaved some life expectancy off the reel but better than not having it.

Cheers

Ceph that sucks!! Same thing happened to me about 2 months ago... Mine was a stradic reel with this beautiful strudwick flick stick. Had one of my rods sitting in a deep plastic paint bucket as I have no proper rod holders. Well, the bucket wasn't deep enough to hold the rod in when a decent fish hit and all I could do was watch and mutter obscenities as it popped out and shot off like a cannon through the clear blue.....

With the damage bill at about $350 I could afford to end up laughing about it, but I can tell you'd be feeling a bit crook losing your baby!!!

Hopefully the fishing gods will smile on you in some other way in the future to even up the ledger...

Bad luck ceph!

I know how it feels i lost a nice combo

trolling around north head in Jan i just heard smack bang

looked around and saw it slide down the side of the boat into the water

going horizontally into the depths..i was in shock too

i almost dived in after it but common sense prevailed and

i just wore it!

Still s@#$s me to this day!

But i have to be optimistic so i say i gave to the fish gods and they have

paid me back big time lately so look at it that way mate

you dont have to spend a lot on a king setup if u dont want to

mine was $450 including 300mtrs of braid /a swiss filleting knife and a dozen 8 o owner hooks

cheers mate

jase

Thanks boys.. I feel better now.

I have been on Ebay and although I am in mourning, I am excited about the prospect of a new rig.. If anyone finds it, there will be a reward!! Don't know what yet... but it will worth it. :drunk:

What a shocker, Ceph! You'll be reliving that one for some time, now!! Might be worth tossing a grapple hook round the area (if you gps'd it!) Chances are, the fish didn't get hooked & it sank like a stone!

And I thought busting my favourite flattie rod was bad!!

Did you see the xxxxxxxxxxx DVD where one of them dived overboard & actually retrieved the rod ...... at the cost of a $1500 wireless microphone system (for their videoing!)

The Dive was priceless!!

Cheers

Roberta

Sorry to hear of your loss, have you thought of getting in touch with the local scube club and offering a reward, my missus dives and although probably wouldnt be up to it, some of the guys that I have met through her probably would be depending on depth, would be money well spent IMO.

G'day ceph!

Bad luck on the kings and your rig :1badmood:

Mate if i catch it ill let u know! i seem to have a way of jaging things off the bottom over the last 6 months we've managed to catch a tld 25 + game rod (wich i got serviced and works a treat), 3 anchors, 15hp johnston outboard motor. a massive drag net,

But the ocean still owes us a downrigger :mad3:

Ps. that snag at spot x i caught it!! along with a king atached to it and got back a rig we lost on it!! Was the net i was talking about above! I called it the FAD of middle harbour and put it back down!

Dan.

g'day mate,

so it was you!

Kelvin and I went pass you and said g'day... man did you look shitty...

sorry to hear that again.. :1badmood:

we got a few fish biggest one just shy of 90cm, went 12lb... fattest kingy i've seen in a while

Tony

Edited by R_Zee