Spot X Murrumbidgee River

Funda

Feeling pretty happy and getting bored at home I thought a walk down to one of my special spots was in order this morning, keeping things simple i just grabbed the bare essentials and headed off not really expecting much at all, I really only went to see how the river is recovering after recent natural events.

Anyway once down to my spot I was happy to see the water has cleared quite well and my confidence grew dramatically as I cast the spinnerbait into a hole in a rock face, not long after about my 10th cast I had an absolutely massive strike before I could even engage the reel in gear.

After a reasonable couple of runs and a decent tug o war on locked drag a beautiful 80cm wild Murrumbidgee river cod was landed, we said our hello's and had a little chat when he decided to let me get a few pictures for my birthday.

Once the pics were done I put mr Murray in the water and we bid farewell to each other, bye mate I said then got absolutely soaked as he swam off laughing at me, yeah he got the last laugh but I was so stoked I just got up and came home.

pics.

80cm2dn2.jpg

80cm1zl5.jpg

80cm3th9.jpg

Cheers, Allan

Guest Plastic Fanatic

Nice report there Funda :thumbup: Gee you're nailin' a few .. well done

Nice write up in the Moruya newspaper about the 115 cm cod although the black and white picture didn't do it the justice the color one on the forum did! Great to see a few freshwater reports filtering through. Born and raised on the Murray, I can appreciate your fascination and passion for these great fish :1clap:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATE.

Plastic Fanatic

Edited by Plastic Fanatic

Thats a top effort mate, and great pics

I've been catching them on bait but will now resort to spinners and lures, next time i'm in Narromine.

Can i ask what outfit you use? I only have breamin gear (1-3 & 2-4 kg rod) do i need to upsize the rod and line? I Think my 2500 can handle the medium size ones.

Thanks

Billy

Thats a top effort mate, and great pics

I've been catching them on bait but will now resort to spinners and lures, next time i'm in Narromine.

Can i ask what outfit you use? I only have breamin gear (1-3 & 2-4 kg rod) do i need to upsize the rod and line? I Think my 2500 can handle the medium size ones.

Thanks

Billy

Hi Billy,

I use a 3 to 6kg Heartland Z baitcast rod matched with a Daiwa Steez baitcast reel all loaded with 10kg braid for medium sized river fish, I personally dont believe light line outfits have a place in C&R on easily stressed fish like Murray Cod.

A 2500 spin reel on a 3 to 6 kg spin stick loaded with 10kg braid would be fine, use at least a 10kg leader too, depending on the area you might need to increase leader to 15kg.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Allan

Where do those fish go when there is no water? Glad to see you released it. What a shame it would be to see this magnificent native freshwater species threatened to the point of extinction or even worse, gone forever, due to our insatiable need to pump every river dry to grow stuff in a desert.

Hi Billy,

I use a 3 to 6kg Heartland Z baitcast rod matched with a Daiwa Steez baitcast reel all loaded with 10kg braid for medium sized river fish, I personally dont believe light line outfits have a place in C&R on easily stressed fish like Murray Cod.

A 2500 spin reel on a 3 to 6 kg spin stick loaded with 10kg braid would be fine, use at least a 10kg leader too, depending on the area you might need to increase leader to 15kg.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Allan

Thanks mate, looks like i need a new rod :1prop:

Allan Allan Allan

Mate I'm starting to get a serious thought that you may well be the bloody Cod Whisperer!

Nice effort, wild river Cod, what a way to pass a little time.

:beersmile:

WOW!! That is awsome, great pics... My dad lives very close to the 'bidge' and would love to know where this was.. Great catch

LUFFY

A lot of peeps want to know where I get my cod from, but if that happened I reckon I prolly wouldnt be getting many, hence the spot x title of the topic :biggrin2:

Not trying to be a snob but I protect my spots regretfully after past experiences showing so called mates, so now it's time to be selfish, and yeah I know it's a shame it has to be that way but three times bitten a dozen times shy.

:biggrin2:

A lot of peeps want to know where I get my cod from, but if that happened I reckon I prolly wouldnt be getting many, hence the spot x title of the topic :biggrin2:

Not trying to be a snob but I protect my spots regretfully after past experiences showing so called mates, so now it's time to be selfish, and yeah I know it's a shame it has to be that way but three times bitten a dozen times shy.

:biggrin2:

Mate on the bidge, I'd keep those spots secret, gotta make sure that we are still able to have that type of ledgend in the system..

Again, top catch, and the more I look at the pic's the more it makes me happy :-) as only a fisho could be

LUFFY