Live Bait Tank Help

squidboy

Just wondering if you can turn into reverse a Rule 360 GPH Bigle Pump. What i want to do is have it in my live bait tank to pump water from the Sea. Any help would be great, all I want to try and do is not have to have a bigle pump on my transom.

If anyone has any nifty ideas or you post a photo of your set up I would be SQUIDDED!

Thanks

Squidboy

Just wondering if you can turn into reverse a Rule 360 GPH Bigle Pump. What i want to do is have it in my live bait tank to pump water from the Sea. Any help would be great, all I want to try and do is not have to have a bigle pump on my transom.

If anyone has any nifty ideas or you post a photo of your set up I would be SQUIDDED!

Thanks

Squidboy

Nah, it wont work mate. The Rule pump doesnt self prime- ie it has to be submersed in water to pump. And even if it did, i dont think the fins inside would pump if its turning backwards.

I didnt want to put my pump on the transom either, but there is no way I can think of unless you find a pump that will prime by itself.

Thanks

Squidboy

just have 2 bilge pumps... one pumping in and one pumping out.

great idea mate! ive taken the plastic skimmer off mine and put a stainless pickup on! just make sure the pickup is sealed and attach a hose to the stainless pickup! then as mentioned youll have to prime the pump bit of playing around but doable! just poor water down the hose switching the motor on and off till shes primed drop the hose back in the water and switch her on!

not sure if it will work but you can try!

why dont you want to attatch pump to transom? i dont want to drill holes in mine so im going to try sikkaflex!

great idea mate! ive taken the plastic skimmer off mine and put a stainless pickup on! just make sure the pickup is sealed and attach a hose to the stainless pickup! then as mentioned youll have to prime the pump bit of playing around but doable! just poor water down the hose switching the motor on and off till shes primed drop the hose back in the water and switch her on!

not sure if it will work but you can try!

why dont you want to attatch pump to transom? i dont want to drill holes in mine so im going to try sikkaflex!

Thanks for the ideas. The boat is brand new thats why I didnt want holes in it at an early stage. But Ill try the sikkaflex. Im assuming its an adhesive, but Ill google it.

Thanks for the help

Squidboy,

Here is the Sika site, Sikaflex 292 would be the go. It is about $17 a tube at Whitworths from memory.

Cheers.

Robbie.

Your a legend, what a committment for a raider to go out of his way to find the right stuff. THANK YOU A MILLIOn, guess who will be at Whitworths tongght? LOL

I already bought a 750gph pump made by Jabsco so I hope it lasts the distance too :)

Mate,

The first thing you do when you get a new boat is fill it with holes!

Rod holders, transducers, pumps etc... it's all part of the game.

There is nothing wrong with putting a pump on the transom.

I have my inlets comming in through the transom to my pumps. The pumps are below the water line so they are self priming.

post-194-1187069678_thumb.jpg

Squid boy..........

What heath said is quite right.............and in time i guess you will get used to the idea

........you say live bait tank... so free standing i presume??????? not built in.....

have you a deck wash fitted on board you could utilise ????????........and are you intending to fit a sounder by chance

as that will most likely involve an attachment of a bracket of some sorts for the transducer ......... a bracket with pick up for the pump will only have 4 little holes (you will hardly see them )and the best option

..........and are easy to seal............ if its an aluminium hull.........then just weld a bracket on........

you can get s/steel pickups to the height were you go through the transom these days to use instead of hose

which is a functionable and tidy option................nothing wrong with the 750gph pump

but that 1100 gph is so much better again..............

Cheers Warnie

Squid boy..........

What heath said is quite right.............and in time i guess you will get used to the idea

........you say live bait tank... so free standing i presume??????? not built in.....

have you a deck wash fitted on board you could utilise ????????........and are you intending to fit a sounder by chance

as that will most likely involve an attachment of a bracket of some sorts for the transducer ......... a bracket with pick up for the pump will only have 4 little holes (you will hardly see them )and the best option

..........and are easy to seal............ if its an aluminium hull.........then just weld a bracket on........

you can get s/steel pickups to the height were you go through the transom these days to use instead of hose

which is a functionable and tidy option................nothing wrong with the 750gph pump

but that 1100 gph is so much better again..............

Cheers Warnie

I have everything on my boat I need already like sounder, electric motor mount etc. I would like a freee standing tank which is removeable for family days on the water. I have no pumps to utilise. I was thinking of a bracket on the electric motor mount (obviously away from the motor). I just bought a 750gph pump so I think that should be all good.

I like the setup in the photo above, But Ill try and keep you all posted with the final result.

Squidboy

Thanks for the ideas. The boat is brand new thats why I didnt want holes in it at an early stage. But Ill try the sikkaflex. Im assuming its an adhesive, but Ill google it.

Thanks for the help

get the sikaflex marine from bios boating i used it to stick the seats fo the floor ao a fibreglass boat 10 yeaqrs ago and they are still there solid as a rock...bob

Hi Mate,

Take a look at the link I put up previously, The different kinds of Sika have different removal methods.

Look at the section TDS (Technical Data Sheet) next to the product you are interested in and you will find the relevant info.

Cheers,

Robbie.

Thanks Mate

• 2 weeks later...