Yakking The Creek

arpie

Hi guys

Up just after 6am, bright & early yesterday morning (for me anyway!!!) Met up with 3 yakking buddies just over the bridge at Tuncurry & formed a Kayak convoy to go down Taree St & hit the water!!!

Forster Foursome (almost)

post-2231-1200353919_thumb.jpg

Paddled across towards the yabby beds, but at low tide, it was Very Low & apart from getting no hits, kept hitting the bottom with our pedals & paddles, so headed up towards the Wallamba Creek. Stephen had even resorted to getting out of the yak & wading/casting as he'd forgotten his anchor! Dave & I forgot our nets & Rod forgot his keeper bag, so between us, the early start must have mucked up our 'system!'

Got a big 'Come Here' from Rod ..... Dave was onto some fish in the Wallamba Creek! Steve & I hightail it up to the creek to join in the fun.

The Day before, my little Purple monster was working on the bream, but not today. Dave had suggested using a green Surecatch popper, so I put it on & cast towards the shore - instant hit! I'm On!!! I called it for a Tailor as it didn't feel like a bream & pulled out a very nice whiting of 35cm!

35cm whiting

post-2231-1200354103_thumb.jpg

In the meantime, we heard a lot of commotion behind us, as Rod hooked up to a terrific flattie!! He was only on 6lb line & got it on a Surecatch popper!! He was stoked!!! It measured 55cm & gave a terrific fight. He went into my catch bag, along with my whiting. Stephen & Dave were still throwing everything they had ...... with lots of hits but not many hookups.

I tossed my green popper out & got a nice 28cm bream which also found it's way into my bag! Our guests were hopeful of fish for dinner, so it was looking good!!!

We went further up the creek & tried lots more lures - Stephen started landing smaller bream & was having fun. Finally, Dave took his own advice & put the green popper on ...... tightening up almost immediately to a very nice bream, which immediately busted him off (he'd forgotten his net too!!!) Buggar!!!

The wind was a bit of a pain & we were heading into it when returning to our starting point .... for some reason, I was having difficulty keeping up with the others, then realised I still had my catch bag hanging over the side, creating lots of drag!! Popped it on top of the yak & kept pedalling!!!

Stephen was most impressed with the ease of handling the hobies whilst fishing all the time with no need for the anchor. Hmmmmm ....... ?Maybe Next year's Xmas Pressie, then the wife can have his??

We had a terrific time & I really appreciated meeting up with the guys - and now we know a good little spot away from mainstream boating traffic! I had fished the corner of the creek/lake from the shore with no hits, so this was great! ALso, there is an empty block half way up the creek, so we could almost launch there instead of in the lake!

Look forward to hitting the water with the guys again - have more visitors now till the end of the week, so hope to connect with Stephen to give those blackies a scare!!

Cheerio for now

Roberta

We defrosted some of the blackies that Cam & I caught last week & cooked those up, with the fresh fish caught today & a couple of Abalone that my neighbour gave us & we had a terrific fish meal! Enjoyed by all.

Edited by Roberta

Hi Roberta.

Nice whiting that one. That little creek looks the goods alright. Does it work well on the early run in fishing back as the tide rises? The run out would hold good flathead outside of the cover I'd say and there sure is a lot of that.

I like your convoy idea !! You can spread out and explore more of the probabilities that way and then get the burley out to where you decide it's going to work best and longer ay?

Syd and I have decided we will definately go out in the boat tomorrow, following a predicted wind change to east tonight, and if we have to fish in wet weather gear all the better no risk about that.

Catch up with you soon

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Ceph

Some yakkers have been having terrific fun catching whiting on poppers!! Whiting prefer a faster retrieve, whereas the bream like a normal slower pop & stop, wait for the ripples to fade! Even the 'do nothing' retrieve works!! That's when you are trying to undo a knot in the braid, or just perusing which popper to put on next, & there is a flurry of activity as they try to hit the floating lure! I guess it looks like a bug or cicada on the surface! They hit & fight quite hard, too! He was almost an elbow slapper! Some guys have been getting lots of bream too. One day, on high tide, I will put one over the racks (with drag done up tight!) I fear I will lose the popper ....

Hi Jewgaffer!

Been all action here - our buddies have arrived early! Thought it was Wed, came yesterday! I had snuck out early & was absolutely knackered when I got home at Mid day. The convoy is fun - even better if you have one of the little radio/mike thingos! Must put it on my Xmas list for next year!

We were fishing the bottom of the low tide & turn of the new - casting from the middle of the creek to the edges! The hits were really close to the edges!

Nice 35cm Whiting!

post-2231-1200392031_thumb.jpg

Heading back from the creek

post-2231-1200392074_thumb.jpg

Good luck with your fishing with Syd - Cam & I got some worms the other day, but virtually caught nothing!! Looks like the weather may be changing for the worse! Hope not! Our buddies leave at the end of the week .... now without a car, as the rats on their farm had eaten thru the electrics & they have no indicators or aircon! Our little car only has 1 passenger seat! :wacko: Cam & Co left for home this morning. WIth lots of fish in the freezer!

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hi guys

Up just after 6am, bright & early yesterday morning (for me anyway!!!) Met up with 3 yakking buddies just over the bridge at Tuncurry & formed a Kayak convoy to go down Taree St & hit the water!!!

Forster Foursome (almost)

post-2231-1200353919_thumb.jpg

Paddled across towards the yabby beds, but at low tide, it was Very Low & apart from getting no hits, kept hitting the bottom with our pedals & paddles, so headed up towards the Wallamba Creek. Stephen had even resorted to getting out of the yak & wading/casting as he'd forgotten his anchor! Dave & I forgot our nets & Rod forgot his keeper bag, so between us, the early start must have mucked up our 'system!'

Got a big 'Come Here' from Rod ..... Dave was onto some fish in the Wallamba Creek! Steve & I hightail it up to the creek to join in the fun.

The Day before, my little Purple monster was working on the bream, but not today. Dave had suggested using a green Surecatch popper, so I put it on & cast towards the shore - instant hit! I'm On!!! I called it for a Tailor as it didn't feel like a bream & pulled out a very nice whiting of 35cm!

35cm whiting

post-2231-1200354103_thumb.jpg

In the meantime, we heard a lot of commotion behind us, as Rod hooked up to a terrific flattie!! He was only on 6lb line & got it on a Surecatch popper!! He was stoked!!! It measured 55cm & gave a terrific fight. He went into my catch bag, along with my whiting. Stephen & Dave were still throwing everything they had ...... with lots of hits but not many hookups.

I tossed my green popper out & got a nice 28cm bream which also found it's way into my bag! Our guests were hopeful of fish for dinner, so it was looking good!!!

We went further up the creek & tried lots more lures - Stephen started landing smaller bream & was having fun. Finally, Dave took his own advice & put the green popper on ...... tightening up almost immediately to a very nice bream, which immediately busted him off (he'd forgotten his net too!!!) Buggar!!!

The wind was a bit of a pain & we were heading into it when returning to our starting point .... for some reason, I was having difficulty keeping up with the others, then realised I still had my catch bag hanging over the side, creating lots of drag!! Popped it on top of the yak & kept pedalling!!!

Stephen was most impressed with the ease of handling the hobies whilst fishing all the time with no need for the anchor. Hmmmmm ....... ?Maybe Next year's Xmas Pressie, then the wife can have his??

We had a terrific time & I really appreciated meeting up with the guys - and now we know a good little spot away from mainstream boating traffic! I had fished the corner of the creek/lake from the shore with no hits, so this was great! ALso, there is an empty block half way up the creek, so we could almost launch there instead of in the lake!

Look forward to hitting the water with the guys again - have more visitors now till the end of the week, so hope to connect with Stephen to give those blackies a scare!!

Cheerio for now

Roberta

We defrosted some of the blackies that Cam & I caught last week & cooked those up, with the fresh fish caught today & a couple of Abalone that my neighbour gave us & we had a terrific fish meal! Enjoyed by all.

Great stuff, well done on that Whiting i have always been keen to fish for them with poppers.

Hey Roberta, another great post that is very inspiring. I love reading your fishy posts, these stories motivate me. (I need motivation) Anyways, great pics and fish, my dad from Lauriton is train bound for my place early Feb. So dad and I will launch in the lake or The Entrance... SOMEWHERE !!

I hope to post our results, good bad or indifferent??

One of these days I'll get up your way, one day :-)

Sounds like a good day out, it looks beautiful up there. Im still waiting for a legal whiting let alone one on a popper! Never would have thunk it.

I was out on my outback the other day and was pushing hard and barely making a couple of kts. I thought somethings not right here so raised the rudder and off flies a huge chunk of weed. That improved things a little but still wasnt going very fast so pulled up the drive and out comes a heap more weed. I was flying again after that!

Hi Lasty

Funny that - a lot of folk want to know what the table tennis paddle is for ...... then they go out & buy one for their Hobie!!!

You normally use the pedals to paddle a Hobie (& the paddle is usually tied to the side) and if you have to change direction in a hurry, instead of unleashing the paddle & using it, (which can take time) you can just grab the table tennis paddle & use it to slow you down or change direction much quicker! Sometimes, just using the rudder handle will slow you down a bit too, but sometimes you need both to stop in time before hitting something you don't want to!

Hi Yakfishing

Weed is a pain when on the rudder, eh?? Also your catch bag in the water!! :1prop:

Give the poppers a go (specially in a lake or small river/creek situation.) If the creek is small enough, sit in the middle so you can cast to both sides & retrieve back to the yak. I have found that works with flatties on sps as well. They sit off the edge of the creek waiting for the baitfish to come to them!

Cheerio

Roberta

Great report Roberta... sounds like you guys had some fun yakking!!! I've just been down to Durras for five nights and the Whiting were on down there too!!! I tried the poppers to no success, but did manage afew chopper Tailor one morning on them!!!

I've just invested in a paddle yak... (can't afford a peddle version just yet!) It's an oldie that needs some TLC but am looking forward to some Bassin' on the river with Kiwi Waynie!!! We might even get to some more secluded spots for some serious Carpin' fun!!!

Good to see you out and about... keep up the good work!!!

Cheers as always

PJ Garn

PS. Love the photography!!!

Edited by PJ Garn

Hi Yakfishing

Weed is a pain when on the rudder, eh?? Also your catch bag in the water!! :1prop:

Give the poppers a go (specially in a lake or small river/creek situation.) If the creek is small enough, sit in the middle so you can cast to both sides & retrieve back to the yak. I have found that works with flatties on sps as well. They sit off the edge of the creek waiting for the baitfish to come to them!

Yeah theres some creeks that run into narrabeen lake that I want to try out, Ill definitely give those poppers a go. I might have to dig up an old TT paddle too! Thanks Roberta. Happy yakking! You too PJ you'll have heaps of fun on your new yak, welcome to the sport! :thumbup:

Yeah theres some creeks that run into narrabeen lake that I want to try out, Ill definitely give those poppers a go. I might have to dig up an old TT paddle too! Thanks Roberta. Happy yakking! You too PJ you'll have heaps of fun on your new yak, welcome to the sport! :thumbup:

Hi Roberta,

Like your fishing report! fantastic Whiting on a popper!

yakfishing & Roberta,

Where can I get a canoe like yours? how much?

Cheers!

Hi Katsuo

You can get Hobie Mirage yaks from any Hobie Dealer (hobie.com.au) or sometimes in the Trading Post or Ebay! THey are a bit more expensive than normal paddle yaks, but just the pedal mechanism is about $800 if you have to replace it!

If you are serious about your yak fishing, it is well worth the extra $, as you don't have to use the anchor so much & your hands are free for casting & retrieving! I got mine for $1200 (secondhand) with fish finder on it & all the rod holders etc you would want!N Keep any eye open, you may find a good deal!

Cheerio

Roberta