Boat Fatality At Bermagui

Benzeenees

Heard a report of a boating accident at Bermagui yesterday. Has anyone heard any details of what happened?

I heard the story from a mate who was fishing the competiton , john was saying that they headed back in when conditions went from pretty awfull to dangerous .they were in a 5.4m centre console. They had heard nothing until they went to the weighing station and saw all the cops and ambo's hanging around several hours later. John also said that the competition was called off,unsure as to exactly why but it was probably done out of respect for the dead angler.

This was all confirmed by another mate a few hours ago. A friend of his called simo was in the comp and fishing in a 22ft striper ,he was unaware of anything happening until he got back to the ramp and was questioned if he had seen the missing boat. He said that he had ,they were collecting bait from a big school of slimeys that had come to the surface and were fishing alongside him catching bait as well. That was 1 1/2 hrs prior ,he was able to give them the gps marks from where he had seen them. Apparently the boat had sank leaving all four guys in the water .

My thoughts are with the dead fishos family -it is a sad day to have that happen doing something that we all love to do.

simon

Yea i think its very sad aswell as he was a mate of mine i only found out tonight around 7ish i was suppose to be on board that vessel aswell but a tafe course probably saved my life? My thoughts are to his family as they are quite distraught wich i wouldnt expect them to be any other way!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( Well all i have to say to all the other fisho out there care should be taken and dont underestimate the OCEAN she will chew you up and spit you OUT if she wants so dont mess around or take any chances! Steve the (shooter) was a very, very experiance fisho :1fishing1: with many many stripes on his belt he was a very expireanced fisho wich will now be sadly missed all the best mate F-----n still cant beleave he has gone anyway i hope i havent offened any1 but sometimes its good to talk to some one stevek. (stessl72)

Yea i think its very sad aswell as he was a mate of mine i only found out tonight around 7ish i was suppose to be on board that vessel aswell but a tafe course probably saved my life? My thoughts are to his family as they are quite distraught wich i wouldnt expect them to be any other way!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( Well all i have to say to all the other fisho out there care should be taken and dont underestimate the OCEAN she will chew you up and spit you OUT if she wants so dont mess around or take any chances! Steve the (shooter) was a very, very experiance fisho :1fishing1: with many many stripes on his belt he was a very expireanced fisho wich will now be sadly missed all the best mate F-----n still cant beleave he has gone anyway i hope i havent offened any1 but sometimes its good to talk to some one stevek. (stessl72)

Oh noooooo !!!!! STEVE WAS AN EXCELLENT FISHERMAN AND A TRUE GENTLEMAN.

I had the pleasure of fishing with him aboard Broady for reds and he was great to fish with and he loved the ocean.

post-256-1211138502_thumb.jpg

RIP my good man and you will be sorely missed by everyone that has known you :(

My sincerest condolences to the whole family and his friends.

Swordfisherman

So sad to hear of the death of another fisherman on saturday and i also would like to extend my sincerest

condolances to the family and friends......

The conditions on saturday out at sea were deterioating fairly quickly with the swell begining to rise

and was quite confused i was working an area along with another half dozen boat's about 4 miles over the

shelf east of bermagui when at around 2 pm the call came from tournament Base that due to current

weather conditions that the day's fishing is cancelled and to stop fishing....

were upon that call to the best of my knowledge and to what i could see all the boats in my vicinity

and myself included made there way for home the wind at that stage was gusting at around 33knts....

when pulling the boat off the ramp into the carpark i heard the situation on the radio unfold....

as best as i could gather the last of the boats coming back home came across the blokes in the water...

apparently the boat had gone down around 12.30 ish and there had been in the water for around 2 hrs at that stage..

It was encouraging and a word of praise should be said though....... for the boats that upon hearing of such over the radio that turned around and went back out in the condition's to the co-ordinates given to help in searching for the crew member still missing at that time...everyone was sad when hearing of the the awefull news....

Warnie.....

hi guys my name is maurice and my son was one of the survivers on the boat .

we would like to say that the efforts of the canberra game fishing club saved there lives.

they were very lucky to be found, the boat capsized at about 12.30 and they were spoted by the last returning boat.some time after 4pm approx 5miles from were the boat sunk.

we enforce life jackets though bars for safety, it should be law that all boats heading of shore must give there details before leaving

What a terrible thing to happen. My thoughts are with the family and friends. We all need to take notice of what happened and hopefully learn from it. While I usually log in with Coastal Patrol, sometimes I forget. Never again.

Terrible to hear of fatalities on the water and my thoughts are with those close to the poor fellow and the survivors. The guys who made it home must be feeling pretty mixed up with their own safe return to shore but the loss of a mate.

There have been a few episodes of boaties in the drink lately which is a serious reminder to all of us. I know that I usually go out without calling into a radio base and this tragedy shows that it is a perilous thing to do. While it may not have saved the poor bloke it certainly wouldn't have hurt. Most radio bases are happy to arrange regular scheduled radio contacts if you ask. This is a bit like the train drivers safety switch. Every hour or so they make a call and confirm your still afloat and safe.

We can learn by knowing what happened. A very experienced fishing mate of mine was trying to pull a stuck anchor out one time (alone) and his transom was right down when a large greeny popped up on top of him. He was lucky and saw it coming so he pulled the throttle off just in time to allow the boat to pop back up a bit so it didn't fill right up. Things can turn bad in a split second even for experienced seamen. I remember his story every time I have to pull my anchor off a hard grab. Point your boat into the oncoming swell if possible and try to avoid the situation he found himself in.

Again, sorry to hear and my feelings go to the family and friends.

A real tragedy indeed.

I am sure all raiders send their condolences to the family of the deceased. Please use this thread to register your condolences.

Please keep in mind that this matter is being investigated and refrain from posting details or hearsay.

Our thoughts are with all concerned.

mrsswordfisherman

My sincere condolences to family and friends.

StessL 72, my mate was taken by a White Pointer about 15 years ago and I STILL can't believe he's gone. So my thoughts are with you as well.

Deek

MY NAME IS ADAM AND I AM ONE OF THE SURVIVERS,

i wish to thank you all for your well wishes, and a special thanks to the members

of the canberra game fishing club that rescued us. they came back out in very bad conditions to help find

steve

THANK YOU TO ALL

My condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.

I am pretty paranoid when it comes to marine safety. I often think about the nightmare situation of being overboard far offshore. I think I will consider investing in some of the new personal 406MHz GPS fix EPIRBS on the market. Strapping one of these to your body when conditions deteriorate means that in theory you can immediately notify authorities of the emergency and relay your exact position to them.

The other big prob is of course hypothermia. In 20 deg waters (calm / no wind!!!) the average person may be dead in 2 hours. In 15 deg water it is hard to last more than an hour. That is a scary thought when it could take an hour or more for a rescue vessel just to motor out of port to the shelf. I have seen the military using "Mustang suits" which can amplify your safe immersion time by a factor of 10 or more. While these may be uncomfortable to wear full time I would like the option of climbing into something like this if conditions rapidly deteriorate. Has anybody used such a suit and how hot is it to wear in winter air temps of 15-20 degs?

Edited by krill

My condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.

I am pretty paranoid when it comes to marine safety. I often think about the nightmare situation of being overboard far offshore. I think I will consider investing in some of the new personal 406MHz GPS fix EPIRBS on the market. Strapping one of these to your body when conditions deteriorate means that in theory you can immediately notify authorities of the emergency and relay your exact position to them.

The other big prob is of course hypothermia. In 20 deg waters (calm / no wind!!!) the average person may be dead in 2 hours. In 15 deg water it is hard to last more than an hour. That is a scary thought when it could take an hour or more for a rescue vessel just to motor out of port to the shelf. I have seen the military using "Mustang suits" which can amplify your safe immersion time by a factor of 10 or more. While these may be uncomfortable to wear full time I would like the option of climbing into something like this if conditions rapidly deteriorate. Has anybody used such a suit and how hot is it to wear in winter air temps of 15-20 degs?

the person who died was my friends dads mate from work, very sad news :(

RIP mate. My wishes go out to the victims family. The sad news indeed. when things like this happen, it really opens up your eyes and you realise how lucky you are to be alive, and enjoying life. How quickly your life can be taken away from you.I still remember when i was 16, I used to walk home and to school with my best mate. I walked home from school on a Friday with him, everything was good. On Monday, my best mate didn't turn up at school. Found out he had a heart defect and died over that weekend. it is truely so sad how life can be taken away so easily.

Our family's condolences to all those concerned. As is our custom we have lit a candle for the departed & those who remain to mourn. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

No words can mask the grief that family and friends are presently feeling.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all touched by this tragedy.

Please, all fellow raiders, check and double check your safety equipments and life saving devices before you venture out on your next outing. Do not become another statistic!

AS YOU ALL KNOW LADS BEING IN A BOAT OUT THERE ON THE WATER, CAN BE ,AND MOSTLY IS ,MORE DANGEROUS THAN BEING ON OUR ROADS. MOTHER NATURE SURE CAN BE CRUEL WITH THE ELEMENTS THAT SHE DISHES UP.

MY THOUGHTS ARE WITH THE FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF STEVE.

CHEERS BART :1fishing1: