Commonly Caught Fish That Make Good Sushimi

RPL

I reckon any part of the lizard mate. I prefer the section back from the rib bones though.

Nice thin slithers with no bones to mess with. Yum, I'm getting hungry!

Not sure how you'de prepare squid though.

Thanks for the advice, ill go harass those flatties tomorrow, i hope!

:wacko:

I reckon any part of the lizard mate. I prefer the section back from the rib bones though.

Nice thin slithers with no bones to mess with. Yum, I'm getting hungry!

Not sure how you'de prepare squid though.

Hey jew hunter squid is beuatiful shashimi!!! you have to try it! its a got a special taste and texture off its own. for fresh squid which has never been frozen u must take:

1)take out the head and guts and use it for bait or wuteva

2) then out goes the flaps

3)take out all the skin or it will taste like Sh#&

Then u need a very thin and sharp shashimi knife and need to cut the whole tube into two tubes by this i mean side ways as if you were trying to fillet a fish except with no bones :wacko: takes alot of practise to get it right

4) cut it into strips off about 2cm x 4cm at this time the pieces should not be over 2mm thick

5) put lots of wasabi and soy sauce and voila!!!!

PS: At first it might be like bubble gum just have more and you'll be begging for me

Tell me how it goes for those who try it :1prop:

Cheers A.dawg~~~

Silver trevs mate. Nice and fresh, cant go wrong.

Thanks 4 the gulp info btw

Ill give them a go, they are fairly common, just the Doctors on all those fish put me off eating them raw.

Did you stock up on Gulp! yet?

:wacko:

Hey jew hunter squid is beuatiful shashimi!!! you have to try it! its a got a special taste and texture off its own. for fresh squid which has never been frozen u must take:

1)take out the head and guts and use it for bait or wuteva

2) then out goes the flaps

3)take out all the skin or it will taste like Sh#&

Then u need a very thin and sharp shashimi knife and need to cut the whole tube into two tubes by this i mean side ways as if you were trying to fillet a fish except with no bones :wacko: takes alot of practise to get it right

4) cut it into strips off about 2cm x 4cm at this time the pieces should not be over 2mm thick

5) put lots of wasabi and soy sauce and voila!!!!

PS: At first it might be like bubble gum just have more and you'll be begging for me

Tell me how it goes for those who try it :1prop:

Cheers A.dawg~~~

Sounds very good, does size of squid matter, ie the smaller ones are more tender ect.

2mm is fairly thin, that will take some practice, alot of practice actually.

Where can i pick up one of these knifes?

Cheers.

Ill give them a go, they are fairly common, just the Doctors on all those fish put me off eating them raw.

Did you stock up on Gulp! yet?

Sounds very good, does size of squid matter, ie the smaller ones are more tender ect.

2mm is fairly thin, that will take some practice, alot of practice actually.

Where can i pick up one of these knifes?

Cheers.

Hi RPL they are pretty expensive knifes if you want you can get them for 20 bucks for a cheap one but about 40-80 for a quility japanese one at a japanese kitchemware shop makes it alot easier to cut them with the more expensive ones... If your around the Stgeorge area one they sell them at hurstville on forest road once you exit the station a 2minute walk and your there... Not sure off the name thought but else where im not sure ... my mum got one at woolies for about 120 a set so maybe you can try woolies ask them for a shashimi knife...

The smaller squid usually taste the same as larger squid but the larger squid hav a better texture and more sweet

Cheers A.dawg~~~

a small, whole, live black trevally.... skin and spikes etc still attached....

PS Dont try it!!

A don't try it warning won't do anything for these die hard Sushimi eaters Dicko you should know that. You wouldn't be charged with murder, you'd only be charged with mass genocide. :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Others have mentioned some of the fish below, but I recommend the following fish for sashimi:

- Kingfish

- Snapper

- Squid

- Trevally

- Flathead (very thinly sliced, eaten with ponzu sauce)

- Leatherjacket (prepared same as flathead)

- Yellowtail (the large ones, don't bother with the small ones cos they are too chewy)

- Slimy Mackeral (must be very fresh, otherwise the fishy smell gets too strong)

- Bonito (same as slimy mackeral)

- Whiting (slice thin and use the larger ones, otherwise it can get chewy)

Most fish you catch can be prepared into sashimi, but some don't taste that good. Any of the ones listed above are very nice to eat raw.

I recommend bleeding the fish straight away and then putting on ice for a few hours before eating. But I have been known to eat Yellowtail and Slimys almost immediately after catching them on the wharf!

Others have mentioned some of the fish below, but I recommend the following fish for sashimi:

- Kingfish

- Snapper

- Squid

- Trevally

- Flathead (very thinly sliced, eaten with ponzu sauce)

- Leatherjacket (prepared same as flathead)

- Yellowtail (the large ones, don't bother with the small ones cos they are too chewy)

- Slimy Mackeral (must be very fresh, otherwise the fishy smell gets too strong)

- Bonito (same as slimy mackeral)

- Whiting (slice thin and use the larger ones, otherwise it can get chewy)

Most fish you catch can be prepared into sashimi, but some don't taste that good. Any of the ones listed above are very nice to eat raw.

I recommend bleeding the fish straight away and then putting on ice for a few hours before eating. But I have been known to eat Yellowtail and Slimys almost immediately after catching them on the wharf!

Whats Ponzu sauce?

I dunno RPL you post the whole post back in and then just ask what's Ponza Sauce :074:

I've heard of poonsers sauce but I think it comes from the banana replublic :074::074:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Sounds like the stuff I just got rid of after eating to much mud crab yesterday! :badair:

It made my eyes water!

G