Port Hacking Monster Whiting Are Lurking

cruisecraft

Hi Fellow Raiders

I have been fishing the run in king tides over the weekend and doing well over the sand flats for whiting in the Hacking. So I thought I would share this monster whiting with the forum. When I first saw it, I thought it was a decent size tailor, but a second look confirmed it to be a monster whiting.I was then praying that the 6 pound braid and 8 lb fluorocarbon leader would hold. I was using fresh nippers and fishing with size 4 hooks on a running sinker.

Regards Kit

post-2393-1231671168_thumb.jpg

post-2393-1231671195_thumb.jpg

post-2393-1231671215_thumb.jpg

Thats a damn good fish.

The Hacking is certainly delivering good whiting this year. I have landed quite a few over 40cm since Christmas all on nippers. Flats, channels, deep water they have been poking their head up everywhere. None as good as your one though.

Dave

Thanks for the well wishes fellows. Only thing is I haven't been able to land any fish on lures(poppers/pencils and even small sx ecogears) in the Hacking but I guess the fish prefer ala natural or maybe I am a poor lure fisho. The wife is not too impressed with my growing lure collection as I get more new ones to try to break this hoodoo. You would think I be better off sticking to nippers but then again this fisho loves new toys and challenges.

Regards Kit

...... Only thing is I haven't been able to land any fish on lures(poppers/pencils and even small sx ecogears) in the Hacking but I guess the fish prefer ala natural or maybe I am a poor lure fisho. The wife is not too impressed with my growing lure collection as I get more new ones to try to break this hoodoo. You would think I be better off sticking to nippers but then again this fisho loves new toys and challenges.

Regards Kit

Kit With your popper and hardbody fishing, it might be a good idea to pump the puddles on the National Park side at the edge of the sand island between Grays Point and Lily Pilly....Make a bit of mess and anchor back and to the side of the work and use nippers and fish where the tide starts to cover the pumping area and also burley pilchards pieces and fish whole pichards back behind the work.... You can run your poppers and hardbodies back to cover the drop off into the narrow channel over towards the National Park side.... If you pump and burley the side where the river narrows at sun up everything else within co-ee seems to come in and come on with the whiting activity.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Kit With your popper and hardbody fishing, it might be a good idea to pump the puddles on the National Park side at the edge of the sand island between Grays Point and Lily Pilly....Make a bit of mess and anchor back and to the side of the work and use nippers and fish where the tide starts to cover the pumping area and also burley pilchards pieces and fish whole pichards back behind the work.... You can run your poppers and hardbodies back to cover the drop off into the narrow channel over towards the National Park side.... If you pump and burley the side where the river narrows at sun up everything else within co-ee seems to come in and come on with the whiting activity.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks Jewgaffer

I know that spot well, as I live on the Hacking.I have fished that spot on the run in tide but now will burley and try the lures as you suggested. That 48cm whiting came from Burraneer Bay on Sat evening about 7pm and in 2 feet of water and I was land based.

Regards Kit

you caught that fish landbased??!!! Champion effort mate... how many keepers did you end up taking mate that night???

Tumra

I decided not to take the boat out that evening as I wanted a quick fish after dinner and it was also a bit windy ~20 knots. I had pump the nippers during the low tide at 2pm and went to the neighbours place and fish off their "back yard". I am no gun fisho and I got lucky that evening as there was only 3 fish caught and the other 2 went back in( a stingray and an undersized whiting)

Regards Kit