Found A Secret Creek!

arpie

Hi all

I met up with my yakking buddies, Rod & his wife Lorraine yesterday to fish Tuncurry, over at the leases where I normally pick up a few flatties. It was dead low at the time, so even shallower than usual! :wacko:

Lorraine & Rod were on their double Hobie, with Lorraine's casting skills improving immensely whilst casting in the leases!! Only the odd snag here & there (God knows, I got a few too!!)

I hooked up to a couple of small flatties which went back - no evidence of the big mommas that normally haunt the area! The gulps were working a treat, tho! I think I have found a new 'go to' sp! No bream, tho - only flatties. I hooked a couple of 40cm specimens & put them in the bag so that Rod & Lorraine had a feed that night ... and then caught a couple more, which I put back!

Lorraine had a big flattie chase her lure as she retrieved it & got such a fright, she pulled the lure away from its mouth & it missed it!! :( Having only been in the yak a couple of times before & never fishing before, she is doing well!

One that I caught was soooo small, he happily sat in the water behind the mirage drive again, avoiding all attempts of capture, till I finally managed to grab him & put him over the side.

It was a gorgeous day & we'd been out since 9am, so after lunch Rod & Lorraine headed off whilst I returned to the water, to try & catch a bream! It wasn't to be, but I did catch another 3 flatties in 3 casts!! Once again, all put back as I reckon I must have found the flattie nursery! I headed home for a well earned rest at 4pm. It was stinking hot & we had been watching a bushfire develop on the horizon (and it is still going today!!)

For today's effort, I thought we'd try something a little different & we went hunting for some new water to explore - we went up & down some local roads till we found a secret creek that looked 'sweet' and not a stinkboat in sight! We trudged thru the mud to get to the water & launched into this very promising spot!

Within 10 mins using Gulps, I had a very nice flattie on, but I hadn't altered my drag from yesterday in the leases & before I could net it, was busted off! :mad3: It was at least 40cm, probably bigger & very nicely marked. Oh well, back to the drawing board! The wind kept gusting thru, making tight casts very tricky. I wanted to toss some poppers to the edges, but the wind was taking them very wide of the mark & probably spooking them rather than tempting them to strike!

Lots of bites, but no further hookups! A lull in the wind & I brought out one of my home made "Thong Thing'' and tossed it towards some likely snags ..... lots of swirls & bloops, but the fish couldn't find the hook! How can they miss it so often??? Then, YES!! I'm on!!! It went really hard & I thought it may even have been an ep as it took me under a couple of snags!! But no, a nice healthy bream!

post-2231-1233480189_thumb.jpg

With renewed vigour, I continued tossing poppers to the shadows & after changing lures, hooked another one! This one fell to a gillies clear popper.

post-2231-1233480219_thumb.jpg

I reverted to gulp & got more hits, then a fish streaked past & I realised he was on my line! It was a big long tom! It was the first time Lorraine had seen one, so, keeping my fingers well away from its mouth & the hooks ....... showed it to Lorraine! The last one I hooked had resulted in one of the trebles going in to my hand & my rod & reel going overboard!! Didn't want that to happen again! :ranting2:

We fished as we pedalled back to our cars & had a pleasant repast by the water (many thanks Lorraine!) and headed our separate ways. I am looking forward to our next adventure!

We really did have a pleasant time of it - especially not having any noisy boats harassing us with wake etc, which made us comment, "How's the Serenity?" :1prop:

One thing I know ....... We'll be back!!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

The 'Thong Thing'?!! Crikey Roberta ... you're really thinking outside the square now! :biggrin2:

How good are those Gillies poppers, hey? Priced so you don't mind throwing them amongst the timber, and they don't bloody leak :074:

Yet another little hideaway for you to get away from it all. Pleased to see you are giving the Gulps a whirl ;)

Terrific report as usual :thumbup:

Cheers

Ian

hehehe ....The 'Thong Thing'?!! Crikey Roberta ... you're really thinking outside the square now!......

Hodgey - I reckon I made them about 10 years ago when I returned to Aussie & they have rarely seen the light of day! Very patriotic, tho - Red, White & Blue!! :1prop:

Must try & find the rest of the ones I made :) I'll put smaller hooks on them, so the fish can get them in to their mouth easier! :wacko:

You are right about the poppers! I may even get another box & throw some around in the leases!! Be really Brave!!!

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

"How's the Serenity?" I reckon that just about sums it up Roberta. It must be very relaxing, fishing in places like that - what a beautiful spot! Good to see that you managed to hook a few fish too.

Why do you call it a "thong thing"? Did you make it out of a piece of old thong?

Great report

Cheers

Peter

Well done Roberta! I love those inventions of yours !!! It might pay to produce a deluxe model Thong Thing and dress it up as a decoy or better still make it the fall guy and add a heap of glued on bird feathers and attach a few well placed hooks to the bird. :1yikes::1clap:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Nice Work Roberta,

Always enjoy your reports.

The Sandwoman (the much better half) and I have joined the yak fraternity (paddle variety) as of the last few weeks, and are both having way too much fun. Thanks for the previous assistance and advice.

Keep up the good work.

Sandini

Hey Sandini - well done!!! Enjoy the ride! So much easier than boats! :)

....Why do you call it a "thong thing"? Did you make it out of a piece of old thong?.....

hehehe About 10 years ago, some bloke posted an article in a fishing mag, showing his lures made out of thongs!! I decided to make a few, but they were always at the bottom of the lure bag! On Sun, i took one out & gave it a go & it came up trumps! :)

Seems you can buy them 'ready made' now & are very effective during cicada season!

Here is a closer pic of mine! :)

I put a length of thong rubber in the drill & used sandpaper to shape it.

post-2231-1233567691_thumb.jpg

Can't remember how I scooped the face .... but used a Tassie Devil wire shoved thru the middle as the 'hook anchor!'!! Worked on Sunday! Next time, I'll put smaller hooks on it, so the fish can fit them in their mouth!

post-2231-1233567719_thumb.jpg

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Roberta,

Nice report!

Isn't it great to find new fishing ground, especially away from all the other traffic.

I love the thong popper and great to see that it worked too.

I'm a carpenter and I decided to try using those disposable earplugs that we sometimes use on the building site. They work great too and they are already shaped for you.

Hopefully meet you at the Forster event coming up soon. I might even come up a bit earlier to get some local knowledge. Ha ha.

Bye for now

Luke

.....hmmmm, the 'old ear plug trick' .......

I have played around with that before & reckon it'd be a killer on bass!! Haven't tried bream tho! Add a feather or two!~ :) They are so small & light my gear was never up to tossing them around unless you use a fly rod!

Let me know when you come up & we can hit the water :) :) SHould be fun!

Cheerio

Roberta

If there was a lifestyle award in the forum Roberta would take it hands down. I love reading your stories after a hard days work at the computer Roberta. It almost feels like I'm fishing those beautiful spots with you. Great stuff.

Cheers

hehehe thanks Werris - I must admit I am sooo lucky to be living where I am & to be retired already, whilst I still have the energy & ability to get out & do the things that I enjoy! No point leaving it till you are old & ill!

Wallis Lake (& surrounding areas) is a fantastic place to live in & as you can see, lots of little secret creeks go off the lake too! :) I drive across a few of them on regular occasions & think ...... I must try that one ...... but you have to leave some untouched, so you still have at least one to look forward to! :1prop:

Within a 10 min drive, i have probably 50 places I can fish from shore based or yak based. Many of them, I will be on my own, even when on the 10 beaches within that drive! VIrgin Beaches! :biggrin2:

Cheerio

Roberta