Magnetic Jetty Rats

slinkymalinky

While it feels a little anti-climactic posting this report after the one about my offshore day on Magnetic Island, it still shows what a special place it is. Mrs Slinky :wife: decided one morning that she wanted to go fishing and since she hates smelly bait, that we should take plastics outfits. Now after all of about 2 seconds, I finally relented and agreed to go fishing.

We went for the 4 minute drive to the Picnic Bay jetty which according to reports, was pretty quiet being mid winter. Armed with a bream outfit for Mrs Slinky and my Fireblood on a lighter 6kg rod for me, we started throwing around 110mm Flickbaits.

post-6175-1246964211_thumb.jpg

Picnic Bay jetty

There was heaps to see with a big Hump-headed Maori Wrasse lazily weaving in and out of the jetty pylons, vast shoals of herring winking in the early morning sun, schools of pike cruising for a meal while avoiding the predators that frequent the jetty (for obvious reasons) and even a Brahminy Kite that has learned to hang around for a free feed, keeping an eye on things.

Mrs S was the first into a fish letting out a yelp of 'I'm on!'. I turned to see the little bream stick bent to a nice fish and the 2500 Stradic humming nicely. My wife doesn't get to fish with me as often as either of us would like (she suffers badly from sea-sickness :puke: ) but she knows how to handle fish and in ugly, coral infested water, she managed to subdue a nice Tealeaf Trevally.

post-6175-1246964168_thumb.jpg

Dancing with the light poles and coral

She also shared a few nice words of advice with me as I'd decided to leave the rope gaff in the car. :chair: Never mind... a bit of dancing with the light poles and the fish was eventually led back along the jetty and landed on the beach.

post-6175-1246964222_thumb.jpg

Mrs Slinky's 1st Tealeaf

We moved out to the end of the jetty next and decided to flick our plastics around the edges of the dense bait schools... a good move as another few Trevally pounced on my plastic with me landing another Tealeaf and then a Gold Spot Trevally along with a little tiddler GT.

post-6175-1246964236_thumb.jpg

post-6175-1246964130_thumb.jpg

The locals fish the jetty a lot and I've fought some serious fish on the end of it but today they were finding the going tough. If you've ever wondered how a fishing 'grapevine' works though, visit Magnetic Island. In the little local paper a couple of days later the fishing section reported 'some bloke using plastics' getting 4 nice Trevally on the jetty... :secret:

Along with other little sessions like jumping off a small barra at the rock wall in front of my parents place on the island the morning before, Magnetic Island sure takes some beating as a fishing destination. Combine that with snorkeling with Sea Turtles, checking out snakes and other wildlife, feeding the noisy Curlews and feasting on masses of fresh fish, fruit, coconuts and the best café breakfasts I've ever had... it made for a great holiday.

Cheers, Slinky

That Magnetic Island looks the go then ay slinky.... Shame you've got to put up with those honeymoon expressions, otherwise that jetty would be a just the place for a bloke to pitch a tent and save a few bucks fishing with his dog.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Was up there last month. Bet you we getting some strange looks of the locals using the plastics gear. They were all using 950 spinfishers and 80lb braid...

It is a great place to go for fishing, and relaxing, all I need the next time is an 8m custom longboat..... :1fishing1:

well done

alasdair