Beaut Day! - Some Big Flathead And A "fat" Shark

james7

Conditions looked great as we headed out with Syd and his mate Kerry, who is not only a top bloke, but a great fisherman. His only problem is his sense of fashion. I don't really go for the "bank robber" look!

post-4381-1250420914_thumb.jpg

As we passed Jibbon bommie we threw out a few lures as we trolled south along the cliffs. We picked up a lone bonito and (eventually) three good tailor.

post-4381-1250421124_thumb.jpg

Sick of the little action we got trolling, we stopped to drift for some flatties. Syd was soon into a real ripper! Luckily, he was using his heavy gear and managed to get it into the boat.

post-4381-1250421483_thumb.jpg

Kerry wasn't going to be outdone and soon had this monster on board.

post-4381-1250421867_thumb.jpg

Things were not looking good. We couldn't find anything close to decent!

Syd broke the drought. What I called as a "lump of weed" ended up being this beauty.

post-4381-1250422037_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately for me and Kerry, Syd continued doing this all day. (Bloody showoff!) It was going to be a few hours before Kerry and myself managed a couple of decent fish.

Anyway, as Kerry and I sat there watching Syd catch fish, Kerry's rod starts bending. I call it as "the bottom". Then "the bottom" starts moving side ways! (Mmm ... I think I called it wrong ... again)

post-4381-1250422645_thumb.jpg

Whatever it was, it had a lot of weight and Kerry's rod was almost doubled over on itself.

After a lot of "lift and winds" this pretty thing came to the surface.

post-4381-1250422977_thumb.jpg

A few quick pics and off it swam. We didn't measure or weigh it, but both Syd and Kerry said it was just ... bloody heavy!

Determined to find a place where I could catch something, I suggest we head further south and out wider.

Of course, this is what happened when we stopped. Bloody Syd the show-off pulls in another good flattie! Kerry and I couldn't work out what we were doing wrong.

post-4381-1250423429_thumb.jpg

Anyway, the tide did turn a bit for me and Kerry. Both of us managed a couple of 50cm+ beauties. I pulled up one of them with this. It fooled me into thinking I had something "really big".

Aint it pretty!

post-4381-1250423798_thumb.jpg

Not to be outdone catching weird creatures, Syd hauls in this double header of "toothy critters".

post-4381-1250423968_thumb.jpg

Great conditions, great company and (eventually) some great fish were landed by all of us. Syd claimed the honours for the day outfishing Kerry and myself combined. However, I warned Syd that I will regain the crown next time we go out!

I almost forgot to add these pictures :wacko:

Syd and Kerry with a few of the flathead.

post-4381-1250424941_thumb.jpg

A good day's effort - "half a table full"

post-4381-1250424977_thumb.jpg

Cleaning and filleting done, so now we only have to cook and eat them!

post-4381-1250425020_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Gotta keep your fingers out of his mouth!

A close-up of Syd's "friend" (barracouta I think?). I've put a few better pictures of it up in "Toothy Critters 2" in the General Photos section.

post-4381-1250427579_thumb.jpg

and a "toothy flathead".

post-4381-1250468834_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

That Port Jackson is heavily pregnant.

SAfisho

Yeah, we sort of guessed that. We put her back in the water fairly quickly and she swam off looking fine.

Never-the-less, she was the biggest PJ any of us had caught.

Nice fish mate, Well done ! We went out around the coast for a while but didnt fish !

Anyways geez hasnt there been some fish on that table ! lucky u have good dinner for a long time :)

Should add, You didnt happen to see this fellow i seen ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww6wD-Qymio...re=channel_page

haha

Edited by cut_loose

Another great report Peter, accompanied by some fantastic photos. A couple of those flatties of Syd's are beauties! :thumbup: That 'momma' PJ is as round as a barrel, with beautiful markings. More 'toothy critter' photos as well. Your day on the water had everything! :biggrin2:

Cheers

Ian

Nice fish mate, Well done ! We went out around the coast for a while but didnt fish !

Anyways geez hasnt there been some fish on that table ! lucky u have good dinner for a long time

Should add, You didnt happen to see this fellow i seen ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww6wD-Qymio...re=channel_page

haha

cut_loose

Those seals are amazing to see in the wild. Absolutely brilliant.

It's funny that you mention seals, because we actually commented at the end of the trip that we hadn't spotted any seals this time, (or whales, or dolphins). We've seen seals several times this year in Bate Bay. This is unusual, because before this year, I hadn't seen any seals anywhere near Cronulla for a long long time. Maybe it's because there's been heaps of baitfish around??

I put some pictures of a seal ripping apart a shark in the "General Photos" section back in May this year (report titled "Seal vs shark off the Royal National Park") and I mentioned about a seal ripping a dead cuttlefish to pieces in a fishing report in April this year (report titled "Two Good Trips"). Both were fantastic to watch!

The one thing that really struck me about the seals is their "bulk" and power. I wouldn't want to get in their way!

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Hi Pete,

I was so hoping to find one of your reports after the weekend. Man am i keen to get out there now!!!

Weather, work and the missus permitting i am going to aim for Friday.

I really want a nice feed of flatties for dinner that night. (Friday night footy, cold beer and flatty fillets for dinner)

What type of bait did you find to work best?

Top report as usual.

Jas

It's funny that you mention seals, because we actually commented at the end of the trip that we hadn't spotted any seals this time, (or whales, or dolphins). We've seen seals several times this year in Bate Bay. This is unusual, because before this year, I hadn't seen any seals anywhere near Cronulla for a long long time. Maybe it's because there's been heaps of baitfish around??

I put some pictures of a seal ripping apart a shark in the "General Photos" section back in May this year (report titled "Seal vs shark off the Royal National Park") and I mentioned about a seal ripping a dead cuttlefish to pieces in a fishing report in April this year (report titled "Two Good Trips"). Both were fantastic to watch!

The one thing that really struck me about the seals is their "bulk" and power. I wouldn't want to get in their way!

Cheers

Peter

Yep, up until my last couple of trips I would agree about the cute looking seals. I have a different opinion of them now, after our Saturday trip off Stanwell, we lost two nice reds, the second one around the 3kg mark. Despite frantic attemps by us to separate Seal from Snapper, we came off second best. The seal turned his nose up at barracouta and pike however turned up for a free feed of snapper every time. Oh well, keep trying I guess. Good fishing, I enjoy your reports Peter, keep them coming :1badmood: . Regards, Mike

Cheers

Peter

Yes mate there good to see .. Tho its a bugger about them taking the bloody fish !

Nice lot of flathead there PeterS!

I am wondering if anyone has identified the 'pretty' orange critter, have caught some similar at times and never known what they are.

post-4381-1250723227_thumb.jpg

G'day kalevalan.

If you are refererring to the pretty "winged" creature above, it's a gurnard. I've caught a few over the years, but never many that size (nearly 40cm). The colours on the "wings" are fantastic.

I'm not sure how to post a link, but if you do a YouTube search for "tub gurnard" or "red gurnard" you'll see a few videos of gurnards "walking" along the bottom on their "legs". It's amazing!

The picture of the gurnard below is from my post in the General photos section, "Toothy Critters 2". It shows the gurnard's "legs". They're a strange creature!

post-4381-1250724239_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Nice day's fishing, Peter ....... for some!!! :wacko: Did you check that you had bait on your hook??

That is a huge shark! Put a good bend in the rod!!

Better luck next time!

hehe Love the Bank Robber outfit!

Cheerio

Roberta

You are the master photographer!! Love the shots - those gurnard wings are amazing, eh? WHat is the difference between a gurnard & a sargents Baker??

Edited by Roberta