Got My Pb Squid Off Cronulla

james7

As we headed out of Port Hacking for a late afternoon fish, we noticed this "glad wrapped blob" in front of us? We couldn't work out what it was until we got close. Could it be a surprise present for me?!

post-4381-1251625985_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1251626095_thumb.jpg

I reckon someone had wrapped it and forgotten the bow! :074:

As we rounded Jibbon and started trolling down along the coast, as a complete contrast to the other boat, we saw this bloke sailing/paddling past with a line out the back. I wonder if he caught anything?

post-4381-1251626576_thumb.jpg

Actually, I think they should ban these blokes. I mean, he should have to pay heaps for fuel like the rest of us! :074:

After an hour or two, we eventually scored some nice tailor, but as it was almost dark we decided to head back to Bate Bay and try for some squid. I've never actually targetted squid before, so I didn't have any expectations of succeeding.

post-4381-1251627563_thumb.jpg

The sky over Cronulla looked great as the sun disappeared.

The very first time I threw out my el-cheapo squid jig, the rod starts bending.

Here's my mate Syd holding the result. This was the first (and only) squid I have intentionally caught from a boat. A pb for me!

post-4381-1251626716_thumb.jpg

I have no idea what type it is. When you measure it, do you just measure the hood?

post-4381-1251627311_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't say Syd was jealous, but he did mention a few hundred times what a lucky !#*@!! I was.

We continued trying for a few more inkers without success.

Syd eventually pulled in this toothy pike. (I wasn't jealous of that at all!)

post-4381-1251627783_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1251627821_thumb.jpg

Click here for some more photos of the toothy pike.

Syd also caught a few little flatties and I wasn't jealous of them either! :074:

post-4381-1251629349_thumb.jpg

And of course, this trip it was my turn to catch a ray. Here's Syd holding the little banjo/fiddler. Just for half a second I thought it might have been a good flattie.

post-4381-1251627986_thumb.jpg

It was a great afternoon/night. Besides the tailor, the pickings were pretty slim, but it was great to be on the water. We didn't quite cover the table this time, but I was rapt getting the squid.

post-4381-1251628251_thumb.jpg

We smoked the tailor last night. Delicious!

post-4381-1251628552_thumb.jpg

This little fellow came to watch us. Do possums like smoked tailor? He watched us intently for ages.

post-4381-1251628680_thumb.jpg

Last night it was smoked tailor, tonight it was flathead fillets with lemon pepper, chips and sweet chilli squid. Does it get any better?

post-4381-1251628817_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Awsome post mate.

Great read and congradulations on the squid. Not a bad size one either. Nice tailor aswell good to see that they are around in numbers.

Mmmmmm yum that would have tasted awsome.. share a little?

Cheers

Young Gun :biggrin2:

Peter,

That is a 'Southern Calamari' you have caught. It is identified by the flaps which run the full length of the tube. You will find they are also much thicker for their length than an arrow squid.

The one you caught is about an average size.

I rate them as the best to eat. Certainly much better than arrow squid which can be quite tough when they are larger.

Cheers,

Andrew

The meal looks delicious, Peter :thumbup: Congrats on the new PB and a very nice feed of fish. How's that inquisitive little bugger on the fence, hey? I bet he was salivating over the aromas coming out of the smoker :biggrin2:

Cheers

Skip

Top report Peter and the fish look terrific on the plate, yummy yummy :thumbup: ... Peter, notice the way squid adapt to the colour of their back ground ie a white bank tank...... Because of the changing colour, it's a good idea to fully skin squid strips and this also lets an attractant out of the flesh, and partly skin live squid when you run them so that they don't finish up camoflagued all over....

Nice to see Pick -A- Box Syd doing well on the banjo again.... Peter one day in those sessions of yours around the corner in the Hacking, I'm sure Syd will be seen on camera playing a 30kilo jew instead of a banjo...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Great report Pete, a few nice fish there mate, Syd keeping up with his banjo count,

sounds like you had a nice time..

Did you give the little o'possum a taste of the smoked tailor, I bet he would've liked it..

Peter,

That is a 'Southern Calamari' you have caught. It is identified by the flaps which run the full length of the tube. You will find they are also much thicker for their length than an arrow squid. The one you caught is about an average size. I rate them as the best to eat. Certainly much better than arrow squid which can be quite tough when they are larger.

Cheers, Andrew

Thanks Andrew. It tasted great! (... and by the way, it wasn't "an average size" ... it was HUGE! At least by my standards! :074: )

Peter, notice the way squid adapt to the colour of their back ground ie a white bank tank...... Because of the changing colour, it's a good idea to fully skin squid strips and this also lets an attractant out of the flesh, and partly skin live squid when you run them so that they don't finish up camoflagued all over....

Thanks for that info Jewgaffer. However, it's going to be hard to use them for bait when they taste so good!

Hello Pete, Your post is always pleasant to read. The covered boat could be belonged to 007.

Did you get the tailors on trolling or with bait

G'day henryqc87.

007's boat - yeah, now that you mention it ... :thumbup:

We caught the tailor trolling along the cliffs of the Royal National Park. They fish were spread out and we had to work hard to get them.

Cheers

Peter