Day Out At Swansea

flattyslayer

went for a bit of a fish out at swansea today,

got on the water about 10am and fished out around moon island for about an hour resulting in few butchers,snapper,jackets and a nice size wobby.

mate was feeling a bit under the weather due to one too many last nite :beersmile: so made our way back in to calmer waters.

was cruising along looking i the water at all the blackies darting around when to my suprise came across thousand of samon, EVERYWHERE, but no matter what lures a threw at them couldnt get there attention. finally ended up snagging a couple running low 70s and probs around 3-4 kgs on a piece of squid,

got a few pics trying to post but keeps saying they too big and i not too sure how to resize :( any help on this would be greatly appresiated

piece out

flattyslayer

post-10754-1252659064_thumb.jpg

Edited by flattyslayer

The salmon up there aren't biting, only way to get them while inside the channel is with spinners, no more than 40g and at least size 1/0 trebles, worth changing them to Owner trebles, the dark ones, seem to work better there for the salmon.

Most people targeting them are foul hooking them, not the best but damn good fight bringing them in.

Cheers,

Leo

PS - going there about 5am for some, let you know how we go.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in sydney and me and my old man sometimes come up there to fish.. only on one occasion i have caught the salmon. and i caught it on a metal lure. where abouts did u fish up there mate. there are some pretty decent size breams up there occasionaly

the salmon have been schooling in salts bay for the last six months or so, i also live in sydney and have a holiday house up in swansea, i caught them on whole pillies on ganged hooks, but couldnt get them to take plastics or metals or any artificial lures. They are nice sized fish though, from about 60 - 75cm generally.

There's always monster bream hanging around swansea, you just need to know where they are and how to catch them :1prop:

cheers,

JB :1fishing1:

Nice catch there.

Im suppose to be heading up to Swansea next Thursday to Sunday for some fishing. Any advice on catching kings up that way? Im told there are some quality size kings up there. Not really after salmon, prefer to target snapper and kings.

Any help is appreciated.

The hoodlums have been around the old coal wharf at Catherine Hill Bay, just south of Swansea.

There's been a few caught there and also around the bommie off Norah Head, so anywhere between Norah Head and Swansea they've been, there should be a lot more of them in next few months, beats the damn salmon, so over catching them haha.