Fishing In The Wet

Josh88

The boat had been in for a service all week so when i went to pick it up today with Bayview ramp only a minute away i couldnt resist a quick bash despite conditions. Went out from Bayview engine was running beautifully, new impeller installed and something else but i wasnt really listening to what he said, anyway headed up Pittwater and saw 2 birds sitting on the water, decided to stop and see what they were up to, sure enough a few seconds later some decent splashes appear. I couldnt pick what they were at first but a hook up first cast sure was nice, it wasn't really going so i was thinking o great another tailor.....then it woke up and gave me a bit of stick so i thought must be a salmon, got it closer and saw it circling, had some size to it so i was thinking mack tuna but turned out to be the biggest bonnie i'd ever caught. Only a 60cm fish but it was thick as, certainly the biggest ive seen up close.

Not the greatest pic but i wanted to pop him back and get a few more.

post-6719-1261150937_thumb.jpg

Got a couple more then headed up pittwater marking a few spots on the sounder, came across a stack of birds going ballistic but they were only baby tailor, got a few in...they didnt even take drag. Continued to head further up Pittwater as I'd gotten some new spray covers fitted over the front rails of the boat so we can venture out a little bit more and i was keen to give them a work out. They worked very nicely catching the spray that previously went through the bars and soaked us.

post-6719-1261150953_thumb.jpg

Thought i may as well try and get some calamari for dinner, was certainly having luck with my first casts today, jagged a very nice squid straight away and it had a partner of similar size following it out but i didnt have another jig rigged up and in the hurry of trying to get the jig back in the water i forgot to put the lid on the bait tank and sure enough the white boat became black pretty quick. Couldnt find that squid again so tried another spot, picked up a nice little live bait size so thought i would try for kings quickly, did a few drifts but had no luck other than a bloody octopus that held onto the squid head up to the boat.

post-6719-1261150963_thumb.jpg

Still great to get out there after not having the boat for a few days, back into the harbour kings next week.

Cheers

Josh

nice one josh! should have hung onto the bonnie! they are awesome sashimi

Havent tried them raw! But seen a few good looking recipes recently so may be worth a try, still prefer my kingfish though :1prop: