Went Chasing Mullet And Brought Home Something Much Tastier!

the one that got away

Decided to do something diffrent too day and chase some mullet as i saw some big spawning ones swimming around eating some bread i through in yesterday.

Headed down to coles first to collect some bread 2 loafs(homebrand) for $2.20 not bad. Rig two rods up with a simple boby cork and a little hook with some bread on one and another with a running sinker to a size 1 suicide hook with some mullet on it.

I threw some burley out, just bread crumbs, and waited. I was looking in the shallows when i saw some gars swimming past then out of no where a claw flew out from the weed bed catching a gar, on closer inspection it was a big mud crad!

Any way rigged up a 30lb handline so it wouldnt snip the line, then on went a long slender plastic that looked like a gar, well to me it did. I cast it out, start a hopping mostion with the plastic, like an injured gar, it lands right on its nose..... its big claw snips it in half and eats one half,the half with the hook, i wait ..1...2..3 i strike it but not too hard, ive got it, only hard bit is dead sticking it up a 1.5m - 2m wall, im not going to risk it, i try and walk it to were i can TRY and scoop it into the bucket with out getting one of my fingers or toes nipped of. It was in about 10 cm-30cm of water and its legs and claws kept grabbing ahold of rocks and oysters.....SNAP the fricken line snapped!!!!! It quickly fleas away! :vio lent2:

Then one of my mullet rods has got a serious bend in it (although its a floppy,

noodle like rod) I go to stike it bang im on!

The fight was very weird it was almost like it was gliding with serious weight.

It comes closer It the very same mud crab!!!!

Take two:

I was dragging it on the surface, and every second metre it grabbed onto something and held on for dear life, i was using 8lb mono so i took it easy.

10-15 minutes later I had it some where i could jump down and get it. I was very very cautious with it didnt want to loose on of my fingers and toes(was wearing thongs) i got my fishing rod and held the crab still with the butt, i slid it into my bucket, it just fit in

Packed up all my gear and headed home wiht a big smile on my face.

Will post some pics up later or tomorrow morning unless i eat it

Cheers, Zac

Nice one mate

you should also have a go in hawthorne canal if your game to eat them from there

I have caught massive crabs in there

Harry

Really i should be eating anything out of west of the bridge. I only eat plelagics and crabs (there to nice to resist) but i will take the odd flathead and blackfish home.

But i will never touch any thing past east of iron cove bridge.

Cheers every one, Zac