Where To Take A Newbie Land-based In Easern Suburbs?

paulthetaffy

Afternoon fellow raiders!

I'm planning to take a friend fishing for the first time (his first time not mine :)) and I'm after a little advice as to where to takt him. I'm normally landbased around middle harbour but since he lives in the city I offered to take him somewhere down his way (south of the harbour). For his first time I didn't want to put him through the dangers of the ocean-facing rocks so was going to find a nice jetty or wall somewhere on the harbour side between Potts Point and Vaucluse. Trouble is I haven never fished down there.

So does anyone have any suggestions? So far I've only come up with Darling Pt wharf in McKell Park, but I'm having trouble finding out whether fishing is allowed there and whether the ferries/boats are likely to make it a nightmare. Rose Bay wharf looks good on the map but is it actually fishable and does it get very busy?

All suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance

Paul

Darling Point Wharf was okay for fishing last year, I fished there off and on prior to getting my Yak. If early or late enough yakkas can be caught there along with squid to the east of the wharf. I caught a salmon, flounder and little flathead there and saw several kingies taken there. Beware of the bird life some fisho fed it in the past now it takes your bait. I hooked it up once without realising when it pinched my live bait, unhooking it was fun I can tell u.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I think I'll try either darling pt or woolloomooloo. Clifton gardens is open again but I'm looking for something on the other side of the harbour

Know what you mean about the birdlife yakkman - I've lost count of the livies I've had nicked at balmoral :)

Paul

Afternoon fellow raiders!

....I'm planning to take a friend fishing for the first time (his first time not mine :)) and I'm after a little advice as to where to takt him.

....So does anyone have any suggestions? So far I've only come up with Darling Pt wharf in McKell Park, but I'm having trouble finding out whether fishing is allowed there and whether the ferries/boats are likely to make it a nightmare. Rose Bay wharf looks good on the map but is it actually fishable and does it get very busy?

...All suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance

Paul

Hi Taffy, A late afternoon start in a very easy to get to part of Yarra Bay might fit the bill nicely I think.. Taffy, it's a fairly easy drive along Anzac Pde and Bunnerong road and I wouldn't think there would be many people fishing there if any at all.. When you reach the Yarra Bay Sailing Club, drive down the side onto the grassy protruding rock platform between the sailing club and the seafood restaurant. You will see that you will be parking your car right where you fish.... Cast rod out in all directions including towards your right hand side over the kelp and into the sand with a beach rod... you'll know what to do from there.. Botany Bay is fishing very well at the moment and Yarra Bay can really fire in the evenings....If you don't get any fish by 8pm suggest your friend foots the bill at the restaurant and then come back and have another go after you have enjoyed a good meal..

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll add Yarra Bay to my list!

Paul

I'll tip my hat to yarra; 9 out of 10 times I will catch a decent feed of whiting or flathead. I was there Wednesday afternoon just before the storm hit. Was planning an outing to Browns rock but with the foul weather headed to Yarra instead, bait shop only had frozen worms and prawns. Wasnt expecting much of a catch. First cast I was surprised when it got slammed hard, spat the hook though - really wasnt prepared for such fast action. Second cast got a nice large whiting for my effort. Every cast after that got taken but nothing as big - miffed I didnt bring larger gear as well as one small whiting I was bringing in got taken for a short run by something larger.

Light gear works best at yarra - not much to snag on, I'll probably be there again this weekend.

Harvey