Hammerhead Shark

anthony1

Went out early Sunday morn for a turbo fish

Hit the ledges on the central coast

first up caught five yakkas and kept them in my pool

sent one out and before i could put my rod down it was hit and i caught a tailor

sent out another yakka and in no time flat i caught a bonito was going to put him out as live bait but he was gut hooked so was no good as a livie.

so i turned to my spin stick and picked up another bonito and in no time flat he was on my big rod and out into water.

Kept spinning and scored bonnie after bonnie then nothing everything went quiet.

10 minutes later the big rod goes of and i'm clambering over the rocks to pick it up, when i get to it it stops but then it goes again then stops then goes again so i strike and come up empty when i get it on the rocks all that's left is the head with a hook in it and a tail with the other hook in it.

post-9219-1265015045_thumb.jpg

tried spinning up another bonnie but with no luck so i butterflied one i caught earlier and sent it out.

also put out a yakka on the other rod and it goes of so i strike only to come up empty and when pulling in the dead yakka i see a king follow him up so i free spool him and the king has a couple of goes at him but only plays with him so i pull him in and go to get another yakka when the big rod goes of, i wait till he starts to run then push the drag up wait to feel some wait then lean back and come up solid.

I climb up high to fight the fish and was trying to lead him around a low rock ledge out the front so i could walk him around to where some other blokes were fishing so they could gaff him for me but he didn't want to go that way so i turned the drag up climbed down to where my gear was and then clambered across the rocks to get the cliff gaff and set it up close to the edge so when i got the shark close i could reach the gaff.

Now i have the shark up to the edge and juggle the rod and cliff gaff.

Now gaff on line with rope in one hand and rod in the other i let the gaff down the line inch by inch keeping rope in mouth then hand mouth then hand mouth then hand. Gaff down to water level i pull the shark up to the surface then let the gaff down over him and pull but only to miss another 4 or 5 goes then finally come up tight so i drag him up onto the rocks what a great feeling doing all that without help.post-9219-1265014566_thumb.jpg

But were not finished yet i put out a yakka my last one and while cleaning up the rod goes of again i wait to feel some weight then lean back and come up solid a nice king 65cm

What a top morning finished by 8:30.

Tally

1 Tailor

7 Bonito

1 king

1 Hammerhead

post-9219-1265014699_thumb.jpg

Tight Lines Anthony

• 3 weeks later...