Tweed Trevs.

Jewhunter

G'day all.

I was chatting to Stewy on the phone y/day while he was up Chippo. He asked if I was fishing. When I told him that I was thinking of putting the boat in he said "just go!"

I had things to do but in his usual eloquent fashion & with a mention of a certain part of my anatomy being extremely soft he talked me into it! :074:

I hit the river with Browndog2 at the ungodly hour of 10am. :biggrin2: With a nice high tide at 12.30pm it seemed good.

I decided to fish down near the mouth of the Tweed & find some new areas. Chasing bream was on the agenda.

It looked as though I'd pulled the wrong reign when after 2 hrs we hadn't had a touch. The high tide had pushed crystal clear water to where we were. We checked out pontoons, jetties, marinas, bridges & gravel beds for zilch. :(

They're aren't big numbers of bream in the river at this time of year. Best time is winter when the spawning run of fish move in but I thought we might get a couple. WRONG!

We found massive herring schools but they had no predators on them. BD did manage a nice little golden trevally that he hooked through the back on a big blade! :1yikes:

I made the call to head from the Terranora arm all the way back to Barneys Point bridge. There has been some trevs around a rockbar near there so that was the area we fished.

I tied on one of Hodgeys' poppers. BD decided to go a jerk shad. I fired out a cast while he was still rigging & on the 3rd bloop the water erupted & drag was singing off the reel! :thumbup: Fighting like a typical bigeye trev it gave me heaps right up until it was netted. At 42cm's it was a new p.b bigeye trev for me. :thumbup: BD quickly changed to a popper. We both had a couple of smashing hits without hookup. The tide stopped & the bite died.

We fished the bridge pylons with big plastics on the stop tide for nothing. When the tide started to run again it was back to the rockbar. 1st cast again gets smashed in a spectacular surface strike. Another bigeye. Next cast the same but missed the hooks. Next cast smashed again but this one sticks.

That was about it. Just the 3 bigeye but I was rapt to get them on poppers. The hooks missed the mark on another 5 fish so it was good fun.

Nice, fun session with alot learnt about some new areas in the river. The Trevs saved the day!

Cheers,

Grant.

Trevs on popper ... a whole lotta fun! :yahoo::yahoo:

A shame the clean water put a damper on the bream numbers mate, but those trevs would have been great fun on the light stuff. That goldie would have got a hell of a shock when that blade found him! :biggrin2: Good stuff fellas. I reckon that might be a new species for the Lure Fishing Records :thumbup:

Cheers

Skip

Great end to the session JH. Congrats on your pb... I know how hard they go on light gear. Great fun :thumbup:

That Gold Spot's a pretty fish. I particularly like it's choice of jewelery :biggrin2:

Cheers, Slinky

PS... I don't think we have a big-eye in the records section. Can I pop it in?

PS... I don't think we have a big-eye in the records section. Can I pop it in?

Please do mate. I was going to submit it anyway!

Hodgey, the popper you didn't like for your bream certainly works a treat on the trevs up here. It's got heavy duty hooks, black top with a gold body, is weighted & slowly sinks. I can rip quickly because of it's weight & it casts a mile. Thanks mate!!!

Cheers,

Grant.

Well done Grant on your new PB & FR Record!!! Those trevs surely do 'go', eh?? They saved the day.

.... is weighted & slowly sinks..... does it sink because it has a hole in it, or designed to do it!!! Some of the original 'clear yellow' poppers from a few years back did that too, but due to a hole! :1badmood: And the ball bearings inside rusted! :ranting2:

All going well, I'll be up your neck of the woods at the end of march for the weekend - there's a yak bass bash at your dam (and we are even allowed to camp there from Fri - Sun!) Sending in the entry form today!!

Have you got a yak or canoe (or lay a hand on one??) Bet you'd win it hands down! :biggrin2:

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Roberta.

That bass comp sounds like fun. I've got the minnow yak & no probs getting a canoe either. :biggrin2:

What are the dates for that w/end?

I'm heading up to Monduran with Slinky, Outdoordan & Browndog from the 26th-30th March.

Hope it's the w/end before that!

Cheers,

Grant.

Bugger!! It is that weekend!! Mind you, Monduran sounds like a better option to me! :1prop: Hope you brain them!! Make up for missing Awoonga late last year! :( Take some slick rigs in Squidgy Drop Bear colour too - suposed to be good on the barra (up Biloela way, anyway!)

Keep an eye on the Australian Bass Association - they may have more regular events up there after this! They usually have one for members & helpers in the stocking now & then, too (not such a comp as a fishing weekend.) I think this one is an honour system too, but any bass I catch will be well photographed (from every angle!!)

Cheers & have fun

Roberta

Mate iv'e caught plenty of fish on surface but never a big eye , i can imagine they would really give you some stick, congrats it must have put a bend in your bream gear well done . :thumbup:

P.s Can't wait to get up there , i will be aming for a 43cm big eye , nothing else matters now !!!

Now will have to talk talk to the old man , he will have a special popper for big eye ! So secret you will have to cover your eyes while im casting it .

Bubba

Mate iv'e caught plenty of fish on surface but never a big eye , i can imagine they would really give you some stick, congrats it must have put a bend in your bream gear well done . :thumbup:

P.s Can't wait to get up there , i will be aming for a 43cm big eye , nothing else matters now !!!

Now will have to talk talk to the old man , he will have a special popper for big eye ! So secret you will have to cover your eyes while im casting it .

Bubba

Bring it on big fella, you know how much I love a challange & just a little banter whilst fishing with a mate! :074:

You catch a 43cm, I catch a 50cm! :1yikes:

As you know I was checking out some areas to pre-fish with you before you fish the bream grand final. :biggrin2:

Today I watched the recent afc bream comp held in the Tweed. I know where the areas they targeted are & also fished some of them during that trip.

It's ALOT different than breaming anywhere else & hopefully the info I'm gathering can help you & Max do o.k.

Cheers mate. Looking forward to having a fish when you get here again.

Cheers,

Grant.